The overstuffed diaper bag. Bulging at the seams on many shoulders of new moms. But it's called a diaper bag for a reason ... you put diapers in it. It’s not rocket science. Although we also stuff a lot more in there, too.
Then I looked at the overstuffed mess that is my diaper bag and realized ... I needed help. What should be in a diaper bag?
U.S. News & World Report shared what really belongs in your diaper bag. I'm test-driving it to see if it's really sound advice ....
The list says that all you need is:
- Diapers and wipes: I don’t even bring butt cream.
- An extra change of clothing: I learned the hard way, folks. Don’t be seen rushing home with a toddler wearing nothing but a diaper and a sad face.
- Baby food: Well, that’s in my boobs right now, but yeah. And snacks for the big one. And a sippy cup. Do not forget the sippy cup.
- An infant carrier.
I would add:
- A distraction. Crayons in a little handy thingy and a notebook. Not that I ever remember to bring it, but ...
And here’s what I just found in my diaper bag:
- One Penelope diaper
- No Abby diapers
- No wipes
- An empty baggie that used to hold wipes
- A sippy cup
- Another kind of sippy cup that the toddler sometimes likes better
- One pink light-up shoe
- A pair of fuzzy booties
- One snack bar, unmushed
- One snack bar, mushed
- One snack bar wrapper
- A pad to change the baby on
- A pair of jammies that are actually now too small for the baby
- The onesie I’ve been looking for!
- An outfit for the toddler
- Hey! The hand sanitizer IS in here!
- About 20 of those gross, rock-like organic O’s from Trader Joe’s
- Things that might have been raisins
- A pink Zutano hat
- An envelope containing -- OH JEEZ the papers I was supposed to get copied so I could get paid for an article I wrote like 6 months ago
- The Radio Shack receipt
- My wallet
- My keys
- Kleenex, both fresh and wadded-up
- The business card with Abby’s next two doctor appointments written on them.
Man. My friends with middle-schoolers do a “backpack check” every week. I think I need to institute the same policy. But when?!
What’s in your diaper bag?
Image via Ja-nelle/Flickr