Over two million cribs are being recalled today, which put the current tally of crib recalls over the past five years at nine million.
You all know the reasons why cribs are recalled: suffocation, entrapment, falling from cribs from faulty sides. There have been at least 32 deaths.
Most of the cribs involved in this recall are drop-sides, but there were fixed-sides are on the list as well. Evenflo, Delta Enterprises, Child Craft, Jardine Enterprises, LaJobi, Million Dollar Baby, and Simmons Juvenile Products are the brands included. There were no deaths associated with the cribs in this recall, but there were 16 reported entrapments, and one child was found unconscious and later hospitalized.
Drop-side cribs have proven to be so dangerous that CPSC Chairman Inez Tenenbaum wants to ban them completely by the end of the year.
"This new recall announcement is part of a larger effort by CPSC to clean up the marketplace from many of these unsafe cribs," said Tenenbaum. "Most of these recalled cribs have dangerous drop-sides, while the Delta crib can pose a danger to babies if the mattress support is installed incorrectly."
- 750,000 Jenny Lind drop-side cribs distributed by Evenflo.
- 747,000 Delta drop-side cribs. Delta is also urging parents to check all fixed- and drop-side cribs that use wooden stabilizer bars to support the mattress. The company says the bars can be installed upside down, causing the mattress platform to collapse. CPSC spokesman Scott Wolfson said Delta "was not cooperative with providing the full number of units involved in the mattress support assembly problem."
- 306,000 Bonavita, Babi Italia and ISSI drop-side cribs manufactured by LaJobi.
- 130,000 Jardine drop-side cribs imported by Toys R Us.
- 156,000 Million Dollar Baby drop-side cribs.
- 50,000 Simmons drop-side cribs.
- 40,000 to 50,000 Child Craft brand stationary-side cribs and an unknown number of Child Craft brand drop-sides. Child Craft ceased operations last summer and sold its name to Foundations Worldwide Inc., which did not manufacture or sell any of the recalled cribs but will offer rebates for some of them.
Please visit the CPSC site for the full list and model numbers for the recall.
Is your crib on this list? Do you have a drop-side crib?