Bee Sting Allergies: Get the Facts

8

baby bee
Photo by ventichaitea
As the weather gets warmer and we head outside where all that nature lives, there will be blood. Oh, there will be blood. Case in point. When my husband brought our baby home from daycare on Friday, his report was this:

"Do you want to know something about your son? He's not allergic to bees."

Yep, the babe got stung by a bee during an outing on a particularly lovely day, but by the time he came home, we couldn't even figure out which hand the bee attacked. So, good for him! And for us.

But this summer danger got me thinking.

How do I know what a normal vs. allergic reaction looks like? Does this have anything to do with honey? I'm not allergic to bee stings, so are my kids safe? Are you sure he's not allergic?

Here are answers I've cobbled together from Dr. Google. If you have a real bee sting -- allergic reaction or not -- please consult an actual physician.

A normal reaction to a bee sting is swelling and redness at the site. A bigger reaction could cause swelling in a larger area, say the entire leg if you were stung on your ankle. But the serious, life-threatening bee sting looks like this:

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Hives that appear as a red, itchy rash and spread to areas beyond the sting
  • Swelling of the face, throat, or mouth tissue
  • Wheezing or difficulty swallowing
  • Restlessness and anxiety
  • Rapid pulse
  • Dizziness or a sharp drop in blood pressure

Get immediate medical attention if any of these occur.

Allergies can be hereditary, so if you or your spouse is allergic to bee stings, there's a good chance your child will be also. However, you don't know until you've been stung or go through testing.

While some people who are allergic to bees are allergic to bee byproducts (i.e., honey) not everyone will be. Also, interestingly, people affected by seasonal allergies could have reactions to honey. And of course babies under the age of 1 year shouldn't have honey. Honey sounds so dangerous, so why do they make it so good?

Only 4 percent of allergy sufferers have a reaction to insects, so chances are, no he's really not allergic.

 

health, safety, summer safety

8 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

jeann... jeannesager

Thanks for this -- our neighbors are beekeepers, so this one does concern me a little.

ethan... ethans_momma06

This is great info... we have been seeing a few bees floating around lately and I have been wondering how to identify an allergic reaction.

nonmember avatar Lorelei

I have a serious allergy to bees myself.  The symptoms you listed are good, but there are earlier warning signs to look ot for.  If the person who is stuck feels unusally cold or hot, shaky, or becomes significantly distracted and unable to concentrate, an allergic reaction could be coming on.  If they have these symptoms, don't rush them to the emergency room just yet, but be on the lookout for the more serious signs that could follow, such as the ones listed in the article.


Also, most people take a Benedril when they feel a reaction coming on - to more effectively stop or decrease the reaction, take a Pepcid AC (a common acid refludx medecine) along with the Benedril.  There are two components to allergic reactions, and Benedril only stops one.  The Pepcid AC stops the other.


Hope this helps!  Bee allergies can be scary, especially for a child.

sodapple sodapple

thank you for the info, right on time that all type of cute bugs are out and about =-D

Lokis... LokisMama

I'm not allergic to them, but my husband is, so I need to keep an eye on my kids. :D'


Thanks for the information though!

Carey... Carey2006

Thanks for sharing...a friend of mine just got stung the other day, I told her to take some benadryl -she waited until she went for her doctor's appointment and her doctor told her the same....LOL

jcook42 jcook42

If one is not allergic, use a credit card to remove the stinger by scraping along the skin.  Then mix meat tenderizer and peroxide to and apply to the area to remove any lingering poisons; it can be held in place with a band-aid or two.

1-8 of 8 comments
F