How to Get a Refund for Recalled Children's Tylenol, Motrin, Etc.

children's motrinI just read the news about the huge recall of Infant and Children's Tylenol, Motrin, Zyrtec, and Benadryl products, checked my medicine cabinet, and (just my luck) I found a bottle of Children's Motrin that's on the recall list.

So now what do I do with it, how can I get a refund for the recalled medicine, and what other medicine can I use for my kids? Here's what I found out ...


What should I do with the recalled medicine?

If you have any of the medicine that's been recalled, you should stop using it immediately. Take it out of your medicine cabinet right now so you don't reach for it in the middle of the night the next time your baby is teething. Don't flush it down the toilet or pour it down the sink -- the SMARxT Disposal website has options for how to safely dispose of medicine.

How can I get a refund for the recalled medicine?

1. If you have an unopened bottle of any of the recalled medicines, take it back to the store where you bought it for a refund.

2. If you have opened bottles of medicine, you can also try taking it back to the store where you bought it. Individual stores are making their own policies, and some will give you a refund or replacement. It's worth trying this option because the alternative (below) is going to take you some time.

3. You can contact the manufacturer, McNeil, either by phone (1-888-222-6036) or email. They're offering two options: You can receive either a refund for the average retail price of the product or a coupon for a free replacement when the product becomes available again. You'll need the NDC number and Lot number from the product that's been recalled. The NDC number can be found above the brand name on the label of the bottle. The Lot number can also be found on the label and is usually placed vertically on the label.

What can I use in the meantime if my child needs a pain reliever or fever reducer?

Don't give your children adult versions of the medicines. Most generic brands are unaffected by the recall, so you can buy the generic version of the brand name you normally buy. If you're unsure what to give your child, talk to your pharmacist or pediatrician for advice.


Read More >