What teething remedy worked for your baby? Teeth & Tooth Care


mom and crying teething baby

No one likes to see her baby uncomfortable or in pain from teething. Here are some remedies doctors recommend, and some that moms say helped soothe their babies' teething woes.

Refrigerate, Don't Freeze

"Teething toys are still the best remedy for the pain, particularly those that can be placed in the refrigerator. The coolness combined with the ability to chew on the toy helps numb the pain of teething.  

Frozen teething rings can get too cold and cause damage to the gums and mouth." -- Jarret Patton, MD, Founder of DoctorJarret PLLC, Reading, PA

Avoid Dangerous Remedies

"I do not recommend any teething tablets with belladonna extract in them. Most formulations have been taken off the market. Also, even though my grandmother would disagree, I do not recommend putting a drop of hard alcohol like whiskey on the gums." -- Danelle Fisher, MD, Providence Saint John's Health Center, Santa Monica, CA

Infant-Safe Pain Medication

"We used baby Tylenol or Motrin according to my doctor's instructions and occasionally let my daughter chew on a cold wet washcloth. Just make sure it's 100 percent clean and drained of excess water!"

Wooden & Chilled Teethers

"When my son was teething, he would nurse constantly and refuse solids. He liked chilled teethers and wooden teethers."

Pure Vanilla

"Put a few drops of pure vanilla (the kind you use for baking) on your finger and rub it on baby's gums. My sister's doctor told her to try this when my niece was teething and it worked great."

Amber Teething Necklace

"My horribly teething daughter turns into her normal self once her amber teething necklace is on. It rescued both of us!"

The advice on CafeMom aims to educate, inform, and provide a range of solutions to the issues moms care about. It is not a substitute for consultation with a medical professional or treatment for a specific condition. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem without consulting a qualified professional. Please contact your health-care provider with questions and concerns.